Instructional design reflection
My second instructional design is an Edmodo training for a teacher who wants to create blended learning. In contrast to my first instructional design project, which was a face-to-face format, my second is web-based. Although the design process is similar and I will still use the ADDIE model, the way I approach the design and training will be different.
At first, I struggled to move from the the topic of reading comprehension to the Edmodo training. My first project was a more cognitive based instruction, while the second is more skill based training. The transition was also made difficult since most of my background is in academic lesson planning and more cognitive topics. In my first project my background really helped me to develop expectations and plan activities and assessments. I am used to writing goals and objectives that are academic and reflect a knowledge that is gained. This, however, possessed fewer cognitive objectives and more behavioral ones.
The foundational learning theory of my first project and the one that I tend to favor is cognitive constructivism. I believe that learners need to have a significant experience information if they are to learn it. For my second project I also used this theory to inform learning activities and assessment. The instruction provided a guide that taught how to complete various tasks, but then the learner completed application activities to build understanding of those points; assessments were similarly hands-on.
During the evaluation phase I realized an important aspect of the design, that honestly I didn’t do well enough. In my previous design I was not the instructor or facilitator of information; I gave the design to my client who then carried it out. But in this design I was also in charge of facilitating instruction. This was a different role that I could have prepared for better. I think because I was focusing so much on the design from from the perspective of the instructor, it somehow impacted my focus on learners perspective. Looking back this is an obvious issue that I should have seen while “in” the design.
I plan to go back to change some aspects of the design for future users of my training. I will add a syllabus that outlines the learning goals and the scheduled activities. In my previous design I supplied this for my client and she was able to provide this information to learners as needed. In retrospect, this was a weak point in my development.